I ran out of muffins in my freezer stock this morning! That hasn't happened in a long time and I thought I was gonna cry. So here's the muffin recipe we use that is super simple. I'll give you a more complex GF/DF muffin recipe soon. I have added chocolate chips and orange zest to this in place of the vegetables and it turned out yum.
Two things: I adapted this recipe from Forks Over Knives. If you haven't seen it, SEE IT!! Second, don't over mix a GF muffin, it will get dense. You're welcome, it took me 4 years of eating pucks (yup) to learn this. My brilliant friend Tif taught me.
Vegan & Gluten Free Zucchini Carrot Muffin
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- One 15 oz can sweet potato puree (can use pumpkin or fresh puree)
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups GF oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup each grated and pressed carrots and zucchini (not the fleshy part of the zuc)
1. Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl combine wet ingredients (I mix in the Vitamix for a smoother banana consistency)
2. In a small bowl combine all dry ingredients.
3. Transfer dry ingredients to wet ingredients bowl and combine.
4. Spoon batter into silicone or parchment type muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes. Check them with a tooth pick, I have had a wetter muffin and needed to bake a couple of minutes longer. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack. If gluten free muffins are left in the muffin tin, they will become soggy.
After completely cool, freeze or store in an airtight container. I get 12 per recipe. Recipe can be doubled.
Power to the family!